Because “A Long Way Gone” is autobiography, it is easy writing. We can read the book easily without much knowledge and experiences. Even though English is my second language, I could read the book without many problems. I think one of the reasons I could read it easily is that the author of the book, Ishmael Beah, is not from the country that speaks English. Because English is not first language to him like me, he can write book easily to read for foreigners with easy expressions and words. It does not mean the book has only simple expression. He describes well the situation that he was in with vivid expressions.
Through reading the book, I felt pain and sadness along the boy whenever he felt pain and sadness. His writing made me feel I was the boy. It is so vivid and detail. Author’s capacity of writing that makes people being addicted his writing was great.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

You make a good point about the Freshman Reader needing to be something that can be read and understood by students for whom English is not their first language. I am on the committee that will choose next year's book. Do you have any other suggestions?
ReplyDelete